To summarize, Aron Ralston ventured into Canyonlands National Park without telling anyone where he was going, ended up falling into a canyon and getting his arm trapped under a boulder. He spent 127 Hours in the canyon with limited food and water, and in the end, was forced to amputate his own arm in order to survive.
There was a point in the movie where he was talking about how this rock had been waiting for him his entire life. Since the moment he was born, the rock had been waiting. Incredible to think about. (This makes me think of one of my favorite parts in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button where a series of intersecting lives, events and "coincidences" led to something tragic and he says, "Sometimes we're on a collision course, and we just don't know it. Whether it's by accident or by design, there's not a thing we can do about it.")
I got the idea that much of what followed this experience (Realizing the true value in relationships with family and friends, meeting the love of his life, the birth of his son, etc.) never would have happened if he hadn't gone through this nightmarish experience because he would have continued on the selfish, closed-off path he was on.
I wonder what "rocks" are waiting for me? For Tyler? So many things are out of our control and I am so inspired by this man's will to live and his willingness to fight through this seemingly hopeless ordeal he was faced with.
I'm really looking forward to reading his book, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place."
Moving on...
Most of the country is getting blasted with blizzards as this very moment; Schools and offices are closing down, roads have become trecherous, and people are bound to their homes.
Not us.
We're going to the playground, walking around Lake Ella, enjoying outside seating at Momo's, and sitting in our backyard wearing shorts and drinking cold beer. We're having the most mild winter I can remember having in Tallahassee and I am not complaining one bit.

Tyler and I went to Lake Ella the other day to see the birds.


There were so many and Tyler just followed them around everywhere.



Sometimes he'd get really upset when the birds would fly away from him.


He's so funny. Doesn't he look so grown up in this next picture?



Random things that have been happening:
The other day I put some Goldfish Crackers in the cup holders of Tyler's little "Cozy Coup" car, so he sat in there and ate his snack. Now, almost every time I give him a snack, he takes it and eats it inside his car.
Ty has 10 teeth now.
Tyler has mastered the sippy cup! After I took his bottle away, he refused his milk almost every time it was offered for about a week. Then, something just clicked and now I can't mention the work "milk" without him running to the kitchen, laughing, and clawing at the refridgerator door. He literally fell over one time because he was so excited for me to hand him his cup.

No comments:
Post a Comment